Oxygen mask saves pet’s life

© 2017-The Record Delta

Firefighters rescue cat from townhouse

BUCKHANNON — Firefighters were able to save a cat thanks to pet oxygen masks purchased through fundraising by local clowns Fuzzy and Stubbles.
The Buckhannon Fire Department, Washington District Volunteer Fire Company and Adrian Volunteer Fire Department responded to a small fire in a townhouse on Crystal Drive off of Stoney Run Road Monday night at 10:18 p.m., according to BFD Captain J.B. Kimble. Upshur County EMS also responded.
After arriving on scene, Lt. Brian Elmore and firefighter Patrick Traxler with the Buckhannon Fire Department were told there was a cat still in the residence. The firefighters found the cat in an upstairs bedroom, lethargic and not acting normally, according to information from the BFD.
There was a small fire in the floor that was extinguished, according to Kimble. The fire is considered accidental and is not suspicious. The resident returned home to find the fire and called 911.
“Fire damage was minimal but smoke damage was throughout the apartment,” Kimble said.
No one was injured and emergency responders were able to save the family cat with a pet resuscitator that had been purchased through the donations of local clowns Fuzzy and Stubbles, according to Kimble. The cat received a short-term oxygen treatment.
Firefighters remained on scene until 11:24 p.m. Adrian Volunteer Fire Department covered the Buckhannon Fire Department calls until the BFD returned in service.

More In Local News